Berry Bircher Muesliadmin
If you’ve booked a HYPOXI session for the morning, it’s important to eat a healthy, low GI breakfast first to prevent blood sugar fluctuations and ensure optimal energy. If you’re in a rush, as we often are, try preparing a Bircher muesli the night before and having a small bowl with some fresh berries before HYPOXI. This recipe makes a batch of six serves so keep in a sealed container and enjoy over the week, or share with housemates.
Ingredients (serves 6)
• 3 cups rolled oats (see note)
• 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
• 1 granny smith apple, coarsely grated
• 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
• 2 small limes, juiced
• 1 cup plain low fat yoghurt
• 1 cup mixed fresh berries (we used blackberries, strawberries, raspberries) (frozen is fine too)
• 2 tablespoons honey
1. Place oats in a large bowl. Pour over apple juice to cover. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
2. Just before serving, stir in apple, almonds, 1/4 cup lime juice, 3/4 cup yoghurt and 3/4 cup mixed berries.
3. Spoon muesli into bowls. Top with remaining yoghurt and mixed berries. Drizzle with honey. Serve immediately.
• This recipe is best made 1 day in advance.
• Use regular (not quick-cooking) rolled oats for this recipe.
• Tip: You could replace the yoghurt in step 3 with low fat milk.